News Related to the Center for Operator Performance
Monthly Member Teleconferences
Teleconferences are held monthly, on the third Thursday from 2PM to 3pm (Eastern).
Call-in and agenda details are available in the Members-Only Site.
In Person Meetings
In Person Meetings are held twice a year. The May meeting is held at Wright State University and the November meeting location rotates though member sites.
In addition to the board business meeting, the meeting provides an opportunity to hear updates on the current research projects, meet with researchers, and network with other organizations working to improve operator performance. There will also be an opportunity for members to attend the new Introduction to the COP short course on Monday, May 12th.
The May Meeting includes presentations on the following research projects:
- Event Prediction and Mitigation,
- Methods for Presenting Alarm Information, and
- ShadowBox Training
For more information, contact Lisa Via no later than April 15, 2014.
SAVE THE DATE!! The COP November meeting will be held November 18-20, 2014 in Austin, Texas.
- 2013 November Meeting, Corpus Christi, Texas, COP members can access the Meeting Minutes and Presentation Files in the Members-Only Site
- 2013 May Meeting, Wright State University
- 2012 November Meeting, Dallas, Texas, Video Summary for Members
- 2012 May Meeting, Wright State University, Meeting Summary, Video Summary for Members
- 2011 November Meeting, Austin, Texas, Video Summary for Members
- 2011 May Meeting, Wright State University, Video Summary for Members
- 2010 November Meeting, Marathon's Garyville, LA Refinery, Video Summary for Members
- 2010 June Meeting, Wright State University
- 2009 November Meeting, Richmond, California, Meeting Summary
- 2009 April Meeting, Wright State University, Meeting Summary
- 2008 October Meeting, Sarnia, Ontario
- 2008 April Meeting, Wright State University
- Thomas Kindervater, PE, Solution Support Manager of the Center for Operator Performance, presented the paper on the COP tool "Semantic Procedure Analysis" at the American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers annual meeting on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 from 10:30 - 11:00 EDT
- The June Member Teleconference was held on Thursday the 21st at 2pm EDT
- Members: COP Summer Meeting Minutes and Presentation Files are now available in the Members-Only Site
- Check out the May 2012 Control Design article The Keys to Operator Performance: Operator Error Rates Double on the Ninth Day of Work After Eight Days of Consistent Performance for a recap of several interesting findings from ongoing projects
- How to Build a Better Operator article by Aaron Hand of Control Design provides a summary of the Center for Operator Performance presentations at ABB Automation & Power World 2012
- Update to the Recommended Reading List: Drift into Failure: From Hunting Broken Components to Understanding Complex Systems
- May 22nd Dave Strobhar offered the workshop Modularizing Emergency Procedures for Increased Ease of Use and Updating at ATPM 2012
- The COP attended the ATPM 2012 Conference which was held at the Lone Star Community Building and Conference Center, The Woodlands, Texas, May 21-23. This new conference focused on applying automation and control technology in process manufacturing.
- The COP hosted Booth #31 at ABB's Automation and Power World in Houston April 23 - 26 to help others learn more about the COP and human factors research
- April 25th at ABB's Automation and Power World Dave Strobhar offered the workshop: Collaborative research to improve the performance of process control operators
- The April Member Teleconference was held on Thursday the 19th at 2pm EDT
- Members: Reserve your hotel room for the May Meeting by April 16th to receive discounted rates
- April 11th Dave Strobhar gave a COP presentation at the LAI/MEP Process Safety Meeting in Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Update to the Recommended Reading List: Cost-Justifying Usability, Second Edition: An Update for the Internet Age, Second Edition
- Congratulations COP Board Representative Mark Nixon for being in the Process Automation Hall of Fame Class of 2012
- Yokogawa Electric Corporation is our Newest Member Company
- WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU! Take a few minutes to share your thoughts in the 2012 Research Survey
- How Many Alarms Can an Operator Handle? Two recent studies provide insights article by David A. Strobhar, Beville Engineering, and Craig M. Harvey, Louisiana State University in the December 2011 Chemical Processing
- November 15-17 meeting was hosted by Emerson in Austin, TX.
- Audio Interviews with David Strobhar on Intellirights.com.
- October 2-5, 2011 - David Strobhar presented at the TAPPI Peers conference, Portland, OR. Presentation and paper available in Resources
- October 27-28, 2011 - Presentations at Emerson Global Users Exchange, Nashville, TN.